Thursday, April 06, 2006

Pocket Money

Read this article on TOI: No kidding: Big-city kids splurge crores.

I never received pocket money as a child. The only time I was given money, at that age, was to eat a "pepsi-cola" (flavored ice stick) for 25 paise, on the last day of the final examination.

What would I do if I had Rs. 200 then? I took the school bus. I spent a major portion of my evening playing with the other kids of my age, and watching TV and doing some homework. It is just unimaginable why kids between age 7 and 14 would need that kind of money. What would prevent them buying a cigarette pack? What would teach them to “cut your coat according to your cloth”?

Is it just me, or am I getting ancient?

4 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, April 07, 2006, Blogger KB said...

PH,
I think we have become prehistoric I would say :) actually kids of today have a diff perspective of enjoyment thanks to the new technology more so the easy access to get to know about new technology.Did we even know what a cell phone is while in school? :))

 
At 5:36 AM, April 08, 2006, Blogger Maverick said...

True Kb, I feel the same. Our parents would have been shocked to the things we did as kids :) Now its payback time for next generation!

 
At 8:32 AM, April 10, 2006, Blogger PH said...

kb, really!

bet you that after a few years, when broadband will be the word, we can regale our next generation with stories of using a modem. (just like we heard about punch cards).

i wont be surprised if a kid wanted to buy a cool computer/telephone accessory from its own pocket money.

hmph ... i feel old! :)

 
At 8:35 AM, April 10, 2006, Blogger PH said...

maverick, true!

payback time? now i am beginning to regret all the naughty things i did as a child. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home