Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Wedding Shopping!


I was reminded of an incident when I went “wedding shopping” with my mother-in-law (MIL) for the first time. Here I was, the bride-to-be in 15 days, standing in a big Nalli’s shop in Chennai. And my MIL bowled me a googly. “So what (event) saree do you want to start looking at?” Next question: “So how do you want your Chennai reception saree to be?”

Simple questions! But I found myself dumbfounded. Frankly, I am not one of those girls who breeze in and make an easy conversation with everyone around. But I do belong to those kinds who can speak a few words when they are addressed. On this particular occasion, I totally blanked out.

At this point the last wedding I had attended was my sister-in-law’s wedding, approximately a couple of years back. That was the last I had seen of all those gorgeous colors and silks.

What followed was a battle, close to 2 hours, to find the right reception saree (yeah, my MIL helped me with the decision to select the event!)! My mother and MIL sought the not-so-readily available stools to perch themselves, while Brat, his sister and I reviewed and discarded hundreds of sarees, . Big thanks to all the crusaders of the battle!

It was cake walk after that! I knew how to pick sarees. As a follow-up victory, I even picked up the next saree, while strolling past a counter in Nalli’s.

That is a picture of the two of us @ our wedding reception, with our parents!

8 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger Brat said...

how were my selections? I am amazing!

 
At 6:16 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger Brat said...

btw, the picture is good.

 
At 7:34 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger RS said...

Hey Prad, know what you are talking about. When am in Bombay, I usually go shopping with Payal and let her do the selection, fitting and everything else, I just watch my soon-to-become-mine dresses :)

 
At 12:09 PM, March 24, 2006, Blogger KB said...

I wonder what would do in such situations, I am sure I would be equally lost not to mention my would be MILs reaction .. hehehe!!!

 
At 8:58 AM, March 25, 2006, Blogger PH said...

Brat,

Your selections are the best! After all, I am one of them :)

 
At 9:05 AM, March 25, 2006, Blogger PH said...

RS, at least I feel better accomplished now! Shopping for sarees/punjabi dresses in India is a totally different ball game.


Kan, surely! You know she was so much into our wedding planning. She attended someone's wedding, liked the make-up and hired the same lady for me! Awesome na?

 
At 3:41 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger Maverick said...

Nice picture! You should blow this and frame it at your place.

So did you guys stuff your suitcases with ethnic wear before leaving.

 
At 9:14 AM, April 10, 2006, Blogger PH said...

thanks maverick :)

yup, suitcases were full! did not have to shop much this time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home