Saturday, December 17, 2005

Simpsons!

No I am not taking of the longest running TV show, "The Simpson's". This is my first home in the US! And boy! What a home!

I still remember the time when I was a new comer to the US, living temporarily with a senior RS and her directing me to this off-campus apartment complex. Actually I should say "us" rather than me, because my best friend from undergraduate studies was doing her Masters with me, and I can tell you I was glad that I could share this wonderful experience with her.

The moment I entered the plush apartment complex, my home, Apartment 714 for the first time, I loved the soft carpet and the big living room and the perfect bedroom and the microwave and washer/dryer in the apartment, I lost my apprehension. All worries of living "off-campus" and walking a long distance for classes were abandoned (though I should really say trekking, because we climbed a small knoll and crossed a train track everyday, to shorten the walk!).

Fortunately for me, there was an influx of Indian students that year and about 50% of the apartments at Simpsons were occupied by Indian students. Call it a quirk of fate, or destiny, I have met the most wonderful people here!

I remember the prolonged sessions of talking on the staircase, the excitement of TV in one of the apartments, the long walk to the Indian store (25 mins in reality, but taking about 45 mins due to our "intellectual" exchanges), watching a movie with 15 - 20 people in the room, rushing to catch the best spot, experimenting with cooking and trying it on our innocent neighbors, studying hard, helping people through assignments and exams. Wow! I could give anything to keep it the same 5 years back!

I remember the cricket, on the pitch you see in the picture, the badminton in the green area on the left with 6 people on each side, the heavy rains that caused water to collect and us making paper boats for the gushing water, the first snow, rolling in the snow for more than 3 hours and following it up with hot tea and chatter! What more could a 22 year old want?

Fridays were fun, rushing to Seaton center for a badminton court, playing for 3 - 4 hours, like there was no tomorrow, dinner and a dance/ loud music session at home, maybe. This is still where I miss by best friend, her grit at playing the game and winning.

On many occasions, I found myself talking about things I wouldn't have dreamt of sharing with anyone. Such was the warmth and friendliness of the people around me.

It lasted for two years!

People say that the place where you meet your husband always lies the closest to your heart and I met my husband there! I cannot forget the place where we studied together, became close friends, confessed our love for each other and weathered many a fights. But truthfully, the experience was THAT and MUCH MORE! (That's what makes me write this post. I would surpise myself the day I wrote a post about just that, I think!)

Secretly, I wish things would have never changed. But that is the way life goes. "The show must go on" they say. I will cherish the memories forever.

11 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, December 17, 2005, Blogger kamal said...

Hey Prad,

Awesome post, very well written, I liked the way you described it. :)

It held my attention till the end, I did not get bored :) (and I get bored pretty easily with bad writing :) ) ...

 
At 9:29 AM, December 18, 2005, Blogger Maverick said...

Sure..those were the days. Nice post reminiscent of our fun times. Also this http://in.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vivekdora7/detail?.dir=e597&.dnm=b9a6.jpg

sums it all :)

 
At 9:41 AM, December 18, 2005, Blogger KB said...

good one!!
miss those wonderful days a lot ..

 
At 4:30 PM, December 19, 2005, Blogger RS said...

pradnya - The show must go on, I guess. Nice post, brought my senior RS days back for sometime :)

 
At 11:13 PM, December 19, 2005, Blogger Brat said...

awesome memories of our Simpson days !! given a chance I would like to re-visit every moment of the days spent in Apt 717.

Nice post Prad.

 
At 11:23 AM, December 21, 2005, Blogger PH said...

Kamal, thanks dude! the thoughts just came flowing through! it was the best time!

Maverick, do you remember our walk to winn dixie? i think i could just go on an on!

KB, still trying to find a badminton place in Lexington.

RS, good job on the management of us juniors :)

Brat, we need to have a Simpson get-together somewhere, sometime ......... hmm ............ "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"

 
At 3:41 PM, December 21, 2005, Blogger dinesh said...

Pradnya,

Nice post ! I agree..one's first home in a new country is always dear to heart ! We learn together and struggle together and all that is so much fun !! Was an emotional experience when I went htrough it as well.

Dora, nice pictures. Who's thaht fat guy next to you in the pic winn dixie 1 ? :)

 
At 2:07 AM, December 23, 2005, Blogger Maverick said...

sure i do..Also remember the cops who stopped us thinking we were stealing the carts and running :)
Wat I remember the most is the coolers incident on the railway track while going to papa johns..You know wat im talking abt :)

 
At 2:20 AM, January 02, 2006, Blogger Brat said...

we should get together sometime

 
At 12:58 PM, January 08, 2006, Blogger Maverick said...

Prad: sure i do..Also remember the cops who stopped us thinking we were stealing the carts and running :)
Wat I remember the most is the coolers incident on the railway track while going to papa johns..You know wat im talking abt :)

Brat: Wud be fun! But the hemisphere is a long way apart :(

 
At 5:03 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger PH said...

hah, maverick! fun times!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home