Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Operation Blue Star and the Golden Temple



I just finished reading Indira Gandhi's biography (Indira) by Katherine Frank. It was heart-wrenching to read about Operation Blue Star (the army attack on Golden Temple) executed on June 6, 1984. Eventually it led to Indira Gandhi's assasination by her Sikh bodyguards, later that year. I could not imagine this serene place pounded by bullets (doesn't it look beautiful); Wikipedia has a picture after the operation. Follow this link to Wikipedia for more information on Operation Bluestar.

Here's hoping that the peace of the temple stays intact, and (on a personal note) we get to visit Amritsar some time.

References:

www.spiritofmaat.com

Wikipedia

3 Comments:

At 1:49 AM, June 23, 2006, Blogger Maverick said...

Hmm..wonder what Indira Gandhi's autobiography has to say. I guess we were very small when that happened but how else do you take out militants holed up inside?

 
At 11:26 AM, June 23, 2006, Blogger KB said...

We wont know 100% truth of what actually happened. I agree with Dora, that seems to be only way to get to the militants.
I personally feel that History is very fascinating owing to wide degree of variation depending 'who' writes the pages.

 
At 1:46 PM, June 23, 2006, Blogger PH said...

guys (mav and kb),

just to clarify my stand, I did not mean to say what Indira Gandhi did was wrong! The blame also lies on the people who were hiding inside the temple, and I really hope none of it happens again.

kb, my mom said the same thing, it depends on the author's perspective; as you said 'who' writes the pages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home