Thursday, April 05, 2007

Reading Recommended!

I finished reading 'Memoirs of a Geisha" this evening. And just had to write that the book was amazing! I think the narration was sincere, and very real. It made me think that the "retired" geisha was sitting across a table, and telling me her story. The characters have been beautifully sketched - Sayuri, Hatsumomo, Mameha and all the others. It also exposed a different culture, at a very different time (it is based around the WWII period).

I have to thank my mom and dad to introduce me to reading. Sometimes I look back at my reading, and am pleased with the way I have graduated, from fairy tales, to Enid Blyton, to Nancy Drew's, to Sidney Sheldon's and Robin Cook's, P.G. Wodehouse, and more. There was a period of time when I read only read fiction. It was a fun period, but I exhausted the good writers (or so I think); maybe it was a part of growing up. More recently I have enjoyed reading "The Monk who sold his Ferrari", "The Namesake"; the kind of books that kept me away from my daily dose of sitcoms or Rachael Ray, when I come home from work. Not that I do not read fiction; I loved "Crisis" by Robin Cook.

I am sure I will write many more posts on what I love to read (Harry Potter is coming!); so will end this post for now! Good night!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, April 11, 2007, Blogger PH said...

Athena, thanks for your comment. Hardy Boys was a rage too! My friends and I would have discussions on who was better, Frank Hardy or Joe Hardy. :)

 
At 10:32 PM, April 11, 2007, Blogger RS said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:33 PM, April 11, 2007, Blogger RS said...

I was always faithful to Nancy Drew while my brother predictably sided with Hardy boys, he absolutely hated those Nancy Drew-Hardy Boys super mysteries where Nancy and Frank kinda like each other! :p

Memoirs of a Geisha is one great book.

 
At 10:47 PM, April 11, 2007, Blogger KB said...

u r blog is making me want to read this book now :)

 
At 11:32 AM, April 12, 2007, Blogger PH said...

RS, if Nancy and Frank liked each other, what about Ned? I'm sure your brother knows! ;)

Thanks for sharing the geisha book with me! Time to pick up a shopaholic book next. :)

 
At 11:33 AM, April 12, 2007, Blogger PH said...

kb, you should! I liked the book so much, that I sent it over to my mom. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home