Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Shravan

“Shravan maasi, harsh manasee ….” (translated: In the month of Shravan, my mind is ecstatic) is exactly what I would feel in the month of Shravan, back in India. Dad emailed me yesterday, telling me that Shravan mahina (month) will be starting on July 26th this year, and these memories came pouring out.

Grandfather used to pick me up from the bus stop and we would have an early dinner at 6. The dinner would comprise of hot bhakris, multiple tasty vegetables including a leafy vegetable, steaming rice with daal and ghee and a sweet dish (perfect for a rainy day). Three spoons of panchamrut (heavenly combination of milk, curd, jaggery, ghee, honey and tulsi leaves) would be given at the start of the meal! (Food, what else can be memory number 1?)

There were many religious activities at home, all throughout Shravan. My grandmother was in charge of guiding the activities and their authenticity. You name it and there was an upaas (fast) every other day - Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and then there were special days like Naag Panchami, Raksha Bandhan, and Gokulashtami.

Grandfather would pick grass roots growing around the apartment walls and we would sort them into the ones we could offer to God versus not. We would segregate the roots into three strands per root, such that they perfect for an offering. The standard was to bind them into groups of eight. On other days, it was to collect groups of 108 strands; so that grandfather would say a mantra 108 times and use the strands as a count. We would pray and offer the eight strands (individually known as durva) to God before eating.

On many occasions, I would accompany Grandfather to the temple; Saturdays, or the special days (school schedule permitting). There was a Shiva temple very close to our house. On Mondays, it is considered auspicious to bathe the Shiva-ling with milk and offer “bel” leaves. The oil lamps would be lighted throughout the day, on Mondays. I remember going with him to the temple on Mondays, before getting ready for school.

Grandmother used to tell us stories associated with each day in the month of Shravan; this connect to mythology was the best part. I still remember her yellow book; tried to get a copy of the book when I went to India this time, but forgot it home in the rush of the 15 day trip. I wish I remembered the stories. I found the story related to Naag Panchami (fifth day of Shravan) online; will post it on Naag Panchami day!

While I cannot be so elaborate about the proceedings in Shravan, I will try to emulate some of the practices, this year. All the best to me! :)

6 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Brat said...

Nice one, Prad!
What other sweets did they make at home?

 
At 11:34 AM, July 28, 2006, Blogger kamal said...

Check this out !

 
At 3:02 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger KB said...

Mythological stories of our gran parents are priceless :) I still remember how my grand mother used to tell me stories and also importance of all our festivals.. good one PH..whats the next sweet on the agenda :)

 
At 4:54 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger PH said...

brat, there was rava shira, rice kheer, modaks, coconut barfi's, some times sweets from the shop - like mysore pak, etc.

kamal, would have never been able to relate the song 'sawan ka mahina' with this. :)

kb, i think modak's. dekhte hain, if i get it right, i can make it again for ganesh chaturthi.

 
At 8:55 PM, September 18, 2006, Blogger medhoo said...

Yummmy!!! Ek dum ghar ka yaad aa gaya!! :)
You write very very well..Its nice to read stuff that you can relate to..

 
At 3:03 PM, October 03, 2006, Blogger PH said...

thanks for the compliment! i read your comment just today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home